Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Ferry from La Paz, BC Sur to Mazatlan, Sinaloa

Monday, January 21 we woke up at 6 am, making sure that we had enough time to drive to La Paz (estimated driving time was about 2 ½ to 3 hours) to catch the ferry over to Mazatlan. By the time we ate breakfast, got ready, paid for the room and filled up the car it was almost 8 am. The speedometer read 179867 when we left Cabo San Lucas.

The ferry ( www.bajaferries.com ) departs La Paz every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 3:00 pm and they strongly advise that you purchase the tickets prior to noon if you have a vehicle to board. The duration of the ferry is estimated at 16 to 18 hours, depending on weather conditions. The ferry was actually located about 30 minutes drive out of La Paz in a town called Ysantana, I believe. We made it just before noon and barely in time to get our vehicle on board. Boy, did we luck out! There is usually no problem boarding the ferry as a passenger but making sure they have enough room for a vehicle is another story. The cost per Adult was 800 pesos, so about US$80 each ( http://www.bajaferries.com/modules/content/index.php?op=edit &id=12 .) We didn´t know the conditions of the ferry and since it was going to be an overnight passage we decided to pay for a cabin, cost was 400 pesos, so US$40. The vehicle cost is based on weight and size and we paid 2,150 pesos, so about US$215.00 ( http://www.bajaferries.com/modules/content/index.php?op=edit &id=13 .)

Since we had to board the vehicle Steve loaded the SUV onto the ferry and I had to stay on land and wait until boarding time. I think it was about 1 ½ hours later when we boarded it was past 2 pm. I took lots of pictures because I have never been on a ferry that big before and found it quite exiting. But then again, I am easily amused. I met an Italian couple who were also travelling through Mexico for a few months and we chatted while waiting to board. In spite of all the things we heard prior from other people, the ferry was very clean and pleasant. Our cabin was cute, with two bunk beds and a full private bathroom with a shower. We dropped our luggage off in the room and went off to see the rest of the ferry. Dinner and breakfast were included in the price we paid for the ferry, so we thought that was not a bad deal. Dinner was a simple Mexican meal of chicken, rice and beans and breakfast was eggs, beans and tortillas, it was quite a good portion. The cost did not include any beverages, they were extra. I thought it was pretty good, but then again, I was thankful food was included.

There are many seats on the ferry and a person does not require a cabin for the ride. If you want a comfortable sleep we advise you do get a cabin since the passage is quite long. We met a couple of Americans on board (one from Sacramento, CA and the other from Seattle, WA), as well as a couple from Penticton, BC. So we all hung out and had a few drinks chatting about life, politics, the American health system, being a few of the many topics we covered. The bar was closing at 11 pm and we all went to bed. We both had a great sleep even though we think that was the first time we slept apart since we met. The bunk beds reminded me of summer camp...it was fun!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the description of your trip, I am going to be doing almost exactly the same trip this August.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I like to read about people's individual experiences on their trips! I've never been to Belize but have always wanted to. I also have a blog on Cabo hotels and Mexico travel. Check it out if you feel up to it! http://www.mypueblobonito.com

James said...

I appreciate the labour you have put in developing this blog. Nice and informative.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to have Mexico luxury holidays. There pretty amazing things to explore out there.

Unknown said...

I can't believe that you actually squeeze your time on that day for that exciting activity and adventure. Anyway, I am looking forward to read fresh travel stories from you. Hey, I also want to share this awesome website that I found online while I am browsing. The website like is here http://www.migrationexpert.com/visa_us/. The name of the company is Migration Expert and they offer consultation and free online assessment for those US visa applicants who wish to migrate to America. I took the free online exam and I found out that I qualify for a travel visa to America. Well, that's good news because it gives me a chance that my visa application will be approved!